Saturday, September 26, 2009

Random Thoughts on the Beginning of Year 2

I have finally completed my first 3 days with a full schedule.  It was really nice to start off the year with only the 7th and 8th grade and try to hash out the things I wanted to start differently this year.  The 6th grade had their class bonding at the farm and I got to ease back into work life.  


Thank goodness for 2 free periods in the day this year!  I feel more relaxed and prepared.  


I had open house this week, which went smoothly, but I did set myself up for the 6th grade parents to respond too much.  I asked them for their support in helping to keep the girls focused and calm.  I told them the girls were sometime rowdy, and unfortunately I didn’t think ahead of time on how to bring up the issue.  As soon as they heard this they said “Oh! No!  They know that is not to happen, so you just call me as soon as something happens!”  At least I know I have a great support team.  Some of the girls were in the room for this discussion and I saw them sink in their seats with their eyes down.  It’s been a work in progress for those girls.  They force me to raise my voice at them when they don’t listen to my stern commands to sit down and quiet down.  


After talking with one of my college friends (who now works with the 3rd grade in my building) we realized a sad fact.  Some kids will only respond by correcting their behaviors when you yell at them.  It gives you a glimpse into what they probably hear at home.  As a teacher, you don’t want to yell at a student because you want to make school a safer and happier place for that student, but if they don’t listen to anything else, what else can you do?  


One of my 6th grade students has shown improvement.  She has had behavior problems since last year and was recommended on probation to our program.  At camp and the farm she had some issues that have been addressed.  During summer school she had problems with calling out in class.  I have refused to answer students that call out in class and she has come to realize this.  She will correct herself and sit patiently until I call on her.  I praised her for this improvement by giving her an index card with a sticker and a statement of my praise.  She became excited and smiled when she read it and I’m hoping that this positive reinforcement will turn her around and shape her into the great student I know she can become.  This index card praise is a new thing that I am trying out.  I had done it once before for an 8th grade student that I just did not get along with last year.  She has improved her focus and participation, which was a big step for her.  I’ve turned a new leaf with this student and have come to look at her in a new light.  


I’m hopeful that this year will run much more smoothly and my students, the parents and I will be much happier with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment