Monday, October 5, 2009

A Case of the Mondays


I have found that out of all the days of the week, Mondays are the worst.  You would think Fridays would be, but for some reason my students find their energy for the start of the week.  This energy is not a good one.  I spend more time trying to get them to quiet and settle down, raise their hands, start and finish tasks, and just stop bouncing off the walls than I do teaching.  I guess it's the fact that they've had no structure for 2 days that the routine flies out the window.  

I have to create a new way to conquer this behavior.  I'm so sick of the phrases "stay in your seat," stop calling out," and "do this problem now."  I was thinking one solution might be to reward those doing the right thing.  I might make a spreadsheet or chart for each class where they can earn stickers for each day.  When they get 5 stickers they will get a prize (candy?).  If I have to correct them a student at all, that student will not get a sticker for the day.  My follow through will be most important here.

Any other suggestions for classroom behavior management?

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete